St. Thomas: the Final Chapter

Back when I began this blog in 2007, one of my first ever posts was about St. Thomas.  More specifically, it was about how badly St. Thomas sucked because of all those annoying cruise ship passengers.  Now, eight year later,  I was one of them, although as the only ship in town on this particular day, I prefer to think we were more of a benign nuisance.

First time around, I was able to escape the circus by taking a ferry over to St. John's but with limited time, this was no longer an option.  This was also our last port of call so if there was ever a time to adopt the "if you can't beat 'em..." philosophy, this was it.

We were initially signed up for an island tour with a well regarded guide that promised an informative drive around the island with stops at both scenic and historical sites.  Due to an snafu with our guy's PA equipment, we now found ourselves with the other island guide, the one known as the "party guide".  His tours are less "back in the early 18th century..." and more "Who let the dogs out?"

Somehow, it seemed like a fitting way to conclude the week.  We had already heard plenty about the forts, pirates and plantations common to the Caribbean islands.  Summer was closer and the tropical heat could no longer be denied (read: Three pairs of balls...it was hotter than 3 pairs of balls.) And, last but not least, the island was gearing up for Carnaval, which was to begin that night.

In a situation like this, I can't think of a better way to spend the day than just riding around in an open air trolley, cold beer in hand, jamming out to soca tunes played at a decibel level that threatened to shatter the speakers and send them cascading down the mountain.

Of course, there were stops at a couple of scenic lookouts, where our dj/ guide, Sonny, did explain some of the island's history but these were more chances to get a refill/ use the bathroom than anything else.


Blackbeard's Castle.  I know this because I just googled it.  It could just as easily have been Bluebeard's Castle, which is also on the island.  It just wasn't that kind of tour.
As with much of the island- really, all of the island, from what I could tell- the most scenic point, appropriately named Mountain Top, doubled as one big souvenir stand.



And a bar.  It was also a bar...

But more importantly, it had a view rated by National Geographic as one of the top ten in the world. 


You know what happens when you joke with the Dominican guy selling coconuts that he should have rum?  You learn that hidden in a nearby bush, he has rum.

Following the top ten theme, we opted to be dropped off at Magen's Bay, regularly ranked as one of the top ten beaches in the world.  It was so nice (and let's not forget, approximately six nads hot) that I spent all my time in the water, meaning I got no photos of one of the planet's nicest beaches, only a couple of shots of some iguanas that were hanging out near our beach towels.




Soon enough, it was time to get back to port, music still blaring and prepare for our last evening aboard the Celebrity Summit.


I had hoped that by the time I got around to writing the last post, I would have fully formed an opinion as to whether this- going on a very couple-y cruise- was something I would recommend for the solo traveler.   In the end, I can't really answer that definitively for anybody else because there are just too many factors to consider.  All I can say is that in my case, I am truly glad I went and would happily sign up for another cruise.


The ship was great, the staff amazing and the food (even for a veg) was excellent.  I had fun participating in all the ship's activities and although may have been the subject of curiosity and unwelcome advances, I also made new friends, got a kicking tan and hit two new countries.  And I feel I learned an important life lesson.

If you are stuck on St. Thomas with no chance of escaping for the day, crank up the tunes, spike that coconut and enjoy because, after all,  la vida es un carnaval.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five reasons why it's better to visit Yellowstone National Park during the winter.

10 Things that made me fall in love with Bilbao and the Basque Region- parte 2